The Flowers and Birds Markets in Kunming
Chinese Name: 昆明景星花鸟市场
English Name: Kunming Jingxing Bird and Flower Market
Type: Market, Pedestrian Street
Best Seasons: All year round
Reccommended Visiting Time: 1-2 hours
Opening Hours: 8:00-17:00
Location: Middle Section of Jingxin Street in Wuhua District, Kunming, Yunnan, China.
Brief Introduction of Kunming Bird and Flower Market
There are many bird and flower markets in Kunming city, but Jingxing Bird and Flower Market in downtown is a top popular bird and flower market in this city and also the label of the daily life of Kunming people. This market became into shape in 1980s and has around 700 stores selling abundant types of things. Walking along this market, you will not only be glad with the countless flowers in various colors with pleasing aroma, but also enjoy the crispy chirm of many species of birds. It is really a new try to feel the local life while hear Kunming people chatting in their special dialect and select your favorites among those nice antiques, jewelry ornaments, handicrafts, and so forth.
Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market
Located at Yongdao Street (甬道街), Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market was opened for business in 1983, gathering vendors selling flowers, birds, fish and so on, and finally became the biggest flowers and birds market in Kunming. Local people of the city, especially children getting pocket money during the Spring Festival, like wandering around this oldest flowers and birds market to buy the merchandise they like or shop with eyes only. Yongtong Street is no less than 200 meters long and about 15 meters wide, but there are more than 300 setting booths and about 700 traders. Phoenix trees are planted in line on sides of the road, providing shade for visitors in summer. Besides various kinds of flowers, birds, fishes and pet-insects, item for collection and decoration such as jewels,handcrafts, antiques and commemorative coins are also sold at this market. At least seven to eight groups of foreign visitors can be seen shopping in Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market every day.
Some other flowers and birds markets in Kunming
1. White Dragon Flowers and Birds Market(白龙花鸟市场): take bus No. 47, 69 or 95, get off at the stop of Shibo Jixinyuan (世博吉鑫园);
2. Western Pets, Flowers and Birds Market(西部宠物花鸟市场): take bus No. 58 or 80, get off at the stop of Xiyuan Keyunzhan (西苑客运站);
3. Chunyuan Flowers and Birds Market(春苑花鸟市场): take bus No. 58, 61 or 62, get off at the stop of Chunyuan Xiaoqu (春苑小区);
4. Daguan Flowers, Birds and Insect Market(大观花鸟虫市场): take bus No. 125, or 160, get off at the stop of Daguan Shangyecheng (大观商业城);
5. Golden Tree Village Flowers and Birds Market(金树村花鸟市场): take bus No. 47, or 50, get off at the stop of Xinying Lukou(新迎路口/人民东路);
6. Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market(景星花鸟市场): take bus No. 10, or 82, get off at the stop of Nanpingjie Xikou(南屏街西口);
7. Dounan Flowers Trading Market(斗南花卉交易市场): take bus No. 12 get off at the stop of Beimen Jiekou (北门街口), then take bus 215 get off at the bus stop of Dounan (斗南);
8. Expo Garden Flowers and Birds Market(世博园花鸟市场): take bus No. 47, 69 or 95, get off at the stop of Shibo Jixinyuan (世博吉鑫园);
9. Little Dragon Sifang Street Flowers and Birds Market(小龙四方街花鸟市场): take bus No. 60 or 95, get off at the stop of Xinying Lukou(新迎路口/白龙路);
10. Zhongbei Flowers and Birds Market(中北花鸟市场): take bus No. 99 or 171, get off at the stop of Jinyuan Huayuan(锦苑花园).
What to Do in Kunming Bird and Flower Market
To have fun in Kunming Bird and Flower Market, you can do many things and get a lot of new worthy experience. Just go and explore it!
Appreciate Diverse Flowers and Birds
Since Jingxing Bird and Flower Market has opened for over 30 years, it has become a mature visiting place with tremendous number of flowers. Many kinds of orchids, various camellias, narcissuses, azaleas, roses, begonias, etc. decorate this market into a very bright and colorful paradise with refreshing fragrance. Moreover, you can find different species of birds chirping along the street, like parrots, crested mynas, thrushes, beyond count, and those types you have never seen, which plays an especially ear-pleasing sound for your Kunming tour.
Besides, you can see a lot of adorable fishes, crabs, turtles, etc. in red, white, yellow, orange, black and other colors having fun in the water. And apart from that, you can still continue your “treasure hunt” in Kunming bird and flower market, since there is a numerous number of jadestones, rubies, sapphires, wood carving works, handicrafts in marble stones, snuff bottles, hookahs, jade ornaments, calligraphies and paintings, coins at home and abroad from ancient to present, etc., which is too many to see all their charm but will give your trip a surprise.
Feel the Interesting Culture
You can stroll in Kunming Bird and Flower Market to feel the culture of Kunming and even Yunnan, because it shows the real daily life of the local people. A fair lady wearing a beautiful long dress in bandhnu is selecting a pot of the most gorgeous blossom; a local elder grandpa is purchasing for the new buying worms for his birds; an “expert” is distinguishing the commodity and bargain with the seller. Every scene is the epitome of the usual life of Kunming people.
Taste the Delicious Local Food
Besides appreciate the prosperous scene in Kunming Bird and Flower Market, you can sit in a restaurant to taste the particular local delicious food of Kunming, like the Yunnan Rice Noodles, BBQ in old Kunming flavor, tasteful Yunnan Dishes, etc.
How to Get to Jingxing Bird and Flower Market
It is located at downtown Kunming and not far away from Kunming Department Store and Nanping Pedestrian Street (南屏步行街). Travelers can take bus No.1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 26 or 52, or take a taxi.
Tourists can take Subway Line.2 to Dongfeng Square, then we can walk to Jingxing Bird and Flower Markets.
Private Tour (Top Recommended)
If you want to get rid of hustle of public transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers sightseeing, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Jingxing Bird and Flower Market with speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on sightseeing.
1. Measure system in Kunming is different from that of other cities. Traders in Kunming always quote at 1 kilogram per unit while traders in other China cities will quote at 500 gram per unit. Please make sure the unit price before you buy anything.
2. Besides flowers, birds, fish and pet-insect, many folk arts and crafts are selling in Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market which is surrounding by large numbers of most well-preserved ancient architectures in Kunming.