Menghai County Culture
Xishuangbanna Menghai County Ethnic Culture is diverse and colorful. It is a place where multi-ethnic groups inhabit. Different nationalities create different culture.
1.Ethnic Groups in Menghai County
In Menghai county, there are 24 ethnic minorities including Dai, Hani, Lahu, Bulang, Yi, Hui, Wa, Bai, Miao, Zhuang, Jingpo, etc, among which Dai, Hani, Lahu and Bulang are the four major local minorities. In 2007, Dai people accounted for 38.67% of the whole population, Hani 20.87%, Lahu 13.13%, and Bulang 10.76%. Menghai County has the largest population of Bulang of all the counties in China.
2. Ethnic Townships in Menghai County
• Gelanghe Hani Ethnic Towship(格朗和哈尼族乡), Menghai County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
• Bulang Mountain Bulang Ethnic Township(布朗山布朗族乡), Menghai County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
• Xiding Hani Ethnic Bulang Ethnic Township(西定哈尼族布朗族乡), Menghai County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
3. Traditional Ethnic Villages in Menghai County
• Mengjinglai Village(勐景莱村), Daluo Town, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
• Zhanglang Village(章朗村), Xiding Township, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
4. Ethnic Festivals in Menghai County
The ethnic minorities such as Dai, Hani, Lahu and Bulang minorities in Menghai county have a long history and splendid culture with strong ethnic customs. Dai people's Water Splashing Festival, Hani's Gatangpa Festival, Lahu's Kuota Festival, Bulang's New Year all present the local unique folk custom and culture.