Menghai County Travel Tips
• Fire: 119 • Police: 110 • Ambulance: 120
• Weather Forecast: 121
• Tourist complaint: 0691-512014
• Xishuangbanna Airport Inquiry Telephone: 0691-2159129
2. Post Office
There are more than ten post offices serving in the towns and townships of Menghai County. Here we just introduce part of them.
• Menghai County Post Office
Add: No.23, Xiangshan Road, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County Post Office(Daluo Town Branch)
Add: Daluo Town, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County Post Office(Mengzhe Town Branch)
Add: Liming Farm, Mengzhe Town, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County Post Office(Menghun Town Branch)
Add: Menghun Town, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County Post Office(Mengman Town Branch)
Add: Mengman Town, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• People's Bank of China(Menghai Branch)
Add: No.20, Jingyang Road, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• China Construction Bank(Menghai Branch)
Add: No.15, Xiangshan New Road, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Agricultural Bank of China(Menghai Branch)
Add: No.14, Xiangshan New Road, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Industrial and Commercial Bank of China(Menghai Branch)
Add: No.1, Fozhao Street, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County People's Hospital
Add: No.38, Xiangshan New Road, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County Chinese Medicine Hospital
Add: No.77, Xiangshan New Road, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
• Menghai County Maternal and Child Health Hospital
Add: No.2, Baojian Road, Xiangshan Town, Menghai County, Xishuangbanna
Most of people in Menghai are Dai people, Hani people or Bulang people. They have their own languages, which are quiet different from Chinese. Most of them can speak good Chinese but hardly English.
6. How to Get to Menghai County
Menghai County can be accessible by air and long-distance bus. The nearest airport is Xishuangbanna Gasa Airport located in Jinghong City and tourists can fly to Gasa airport and then transfer to Menghai County. Long-Distance Bus is another important way getting to Menghai County, which could be accessible from Kunming, Jinghong, etc.
7.Best Time to Visit Menghai
The best time to visit Menghai is during the dry season (from November to April), when the weather is agreeable and the temperature is mild. If you would like to taste the rich tropical fruit here, traveling during the period from June to September is a good choice.
Try to avoid the peak holidays due to crowded Chinese tourists such as Chinese Spring Festival (usually in late Jan or early Feb.), International Labor Day (May 01 to 03) and National Day (Oct 01-07). Spring Festival and the National Day golden week are the most crowded time for travelling.
8. What to See
The main attractions in Menghai County are Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion, One Tree Forest, Manduan Temple, Manluanhui Mosque, etc. Of course the top ones are tea mountains such as Nannuo Tea Mountain, Bulang Ancient Tea Mountain, In addition, the ancient ethnic villages are also worth visiting.
9. Dressing Tips
Tourists had better bring more T-shirts, short pants and one piece of thin coat to prevent the cool weather at night. And sandal is necessary because of the hot weather.
• Dry Season(November to May): Bring sun glasses, sun creen, mosquito repellent, sunhat and medicine to prevent heatstroke.
• Rainy Season(July to October): Due to the wet weather, you may feel uncomfortable when sweat streaming. It's recommended to bring a piece of small towel, umbrella, mosquito repellent, sunscreen and medicine to prevent heatstroke.
• Water is so important that Dai people care a lot about the cleanness of water. There is a well with beautiful decroration in every Dai village, into which nobody can throw anything.
• Except for believing in Hinayana Buddhism, Dai nationality still keeps original religion. In daily life, Dai people will hold many sacrifice activities that tourists can not have a look.
• The bedrooms of Dai people are not opened to outsiders.
• If you see symbol of “米” in the door of bamboo house, it represents that this family has pregnant woman. At this time, outsiders are not welcomed.
• Before enter in the bamboo house, visitors should take off their shoes.
• Each Bulang family has its own family god to worship, which is packed by banana leaf or sugarcane leaf and forbidden to touch.
• Outsiders can not touch the headcloth of Bulang male because it is the representative of their dignity.
• If you travel alone, please don't tell stranger your travel destination casually.
• Tourists had better not arrive at the destination at night. If you can't avoid arriving late, it's recommended to stay near airport.
• Tourists should respect the folk custom and taboo of local ethnic minorities especially when you have a visit to local villages and residences.