Chinese Name: 腾冲 English IPA: Teng Chong Location: Southwest of Yunnan Population (city): 659,900 Language: Yunnan Dialect Zip code: 679100 Tel code: 0875 Time zone: UTC+8
Bordering Burma to the west, Tengchong is the important gateway for China to South Asia and Southeast Asia. As the famous hometown of overseas Chinese, cultural town and vital distributing center of jade, it boasts an important geographic position since ancient time. It is well known for its volcanic activity.The city is named after the town of Tengchong which serves as its political center, previously known as Tengyue (腾越) in Chinese.
Highlights of Tengchong
- Volcanic Landscape: Tengchong abounds in geothermal energy. There are over 80 steaming fountain hot streams and boiling fountains. There could be as many as 70 volcanoes within 100 kilometers (62 miles) of Tengchong city that is just located on lavas. The Cluster of Volcanoes is must-see attraction to appreciate the volcano scenery.
- Geothermal Landscape: Tengchong has China’s famous geothermal scenic area – Rehai Hot Spring Scenic Area that hides abundant terrestrial heat. Hot spring recreation is also popular among locals and tourists. There are many hot spring resorts in Tengchong, with the famous ones being Yuechun Hot Spring Resort and Rehai Hot Spring. You can relax yourself in the comfortable springs, relieving the fatigue.
- Birding Tour: Boasting rich natural resources, Tengchong is one of the excellent areas for bird watching in Yunnan. Beihai Wetland Reserve is a paradise for water birds Laifeng Mountain National Forest Park known as a “green pearl” embedded in the first city of the extreme side offers the rich spicies, more than 300 species of wild birds and 50 species of mammals. Gaoligong Mountain Botanical Garden is also best place for bird watching in Tengchong.
- Red Culture Tour: Tengchong was the vital site of fierce battles against the Japanese during WWII. The Graveyard of the National Heroes and The Museum of Yunnan-Burmese Anti-Japanese War are the must-see places of Tengchong red culture tour.
Other Destinations in Tengchong
Tengchong attractions offer you a different sight of Yunnan volcano scenery and hot spring recreations, as well as rich Tengchong culture. Must-see Tengchong attractions include Heshun Ancient Town, The Cluster of Volcanoes, Rehai Hot Spring, Beihai Wetland, etc. Besides, various traditional villages in Tengchong, which are good places to explore the ethnic culture of Yunnan. Top Attractions in Tengchong Visitors to Tengchong shouldn't miss the most popular and featured attractions such as The Cluster of Volcanoes,and Rehai Hot [...]
Tengchong Tours offer you tour packages themed on Tengchong Birding Tours, Tengchong Cycling Tours, Tengchong Hiking Tours , Tengchong Rehai Hot Spring and Heshun Ancient Town. Yunnan is becoming an increasingly popular birding destination and Tengchong is one of the excellent areas for bird watching in Yunnan. As a border city, cycling tours or motorbike tours to the border areas are also favorable. In addition, there are dozens of traditional ethnic villages waiting to be explored. Best [...]
Climate & When to Go
Tengchong climate is classified as warm and temperate. Summer enjoys plenty of rainfall than winter in Tengchong. Tengchong experiences a mild subtropical highland climate. In Tengchong, the average annual temperature is 15.4 °C. The average annual rainfall is 1482 mm. Tengchong Climate & Weather Tengchong enjoys municipal tropical monsoon climate integrating the advantages of continental climate and marine climate. It is sunny in winter and spring, with abundant rainfall in summer and cool and pleasant weather in autumn. The annual average rainfall [...]
Tengchong Transportation offer you information about how to get to and get round Tengchong. Tengchong is a border city in the west of Yunnan province with well-developed public facilities. A complete transportation network has been built, mainly including airways and city public transportation. How to Get to/away from Tengchong? Visitors can get to Tengchong by air or by long-distance buses departing from nearby cities such as Kunming, Dali and Xishuangbanna, etc. You can also arrive in Baoshan first, then transfer to Tengchong [...]
Festivals and Activities
Tengchong festivals and activities tell you what to do during the festival tour in Tengchong. There are 25 minorities living in Tengchong City, including Dai, Hui, Lisu, Wa, Bai, Achang, etc. As the indigenous minorities inhabited in Tengchong, they formed their distinctive ethnic culture which is also revealed in their ethnic festivals. Here are some major festivals and activities in Tengchong. They can help you learn more about local ethnic culture. Festivals in Tengchong Spring Festival The Spring Festival is the greatest festival of [...]
This page offers some useful Tengchong Travel Tips for you to get a better travel experience. Tengchong is located at the westernmost edge of Yunnan Province. It features a unique volcanic landscape with volcanic parks, hot springs, wetlands, waterfalls clustered among the region. For a better travel experience, it's necessary to read the information below. Tengchong travel tips will also contribute to your Yunnan Travel. Useful Numbers Phone Dialing Code 0875 Fire 119 Police 110 Ambulance 120 Weather Forecast 121 Tourist complaint 96927 Tourism Information 0875-5141888 Tengchong Airport Inquiry 0875-5198866 Taxi Complaint 0875-5162340 City Bus Complaint 0875-5181650 Tengchong Tourist Bus Station 0875-5161526 Tengchong Tourist Bus Station 0875-5152363 Tengchong Tourism Bureau 0875-5151919 Yunnan Tourism [...]
If we go to somewhere new, maps are good facilitators for us. In order to show you clear direction and location, Tengchong Maps provide you some useful maps like Tengchong City Map, Tengchong Attraction Map, Tengchong Transportation Map, Tengchong Location Map, etc. Tengchong Tourist Attractions Maps Tengchong Location & Region Maps Tengchong Transportation Maps [images_gallery type="post" cat_slug="maps" tag_slug="heshun-ancient-town,transportation-maps" feature_post="56" [...]
Tengchong accomodation has wide range of choices of hotels in Tengchong City. Different styles of hotels are offered from luxury ones to budget ones wherever you want to stay in Tengchong. Yunnan Exploration Travel elaborately selects the following best hotels in Tengchong with good location and all-inclusive services for you. Recommended Hotels in Tengchong The Best Luxury 5-star Hotels in Tengchong Banyan Tree Tengchong (腾冲玛御谷悦榕庄) Address:Mayu Valley, Beihai Town, Tengchong 北海乡玛御谷温泉小镇 Tel:0875-8999888 Bolian Resort Hotel Tengchong (腾冲和顺柏联酒店) Address:Zhangjiapo, Heshun Town, Tengchong 和顺镇张家坡 Tel:0875-5153333 Huajian Meisu Qingshe Holiday Courtyard(腾冲花间美宿轻奢度假庭院) [...]
Other Hot Destinations in China
- Babao Town
- Baisha Ancient Town
- Baoshan Stone Town
- Dali Ancient Town
- Dongchuan Red Land
- Haba Snow Mountain
- Heshun Ancient Town
- Honghe Hani Rice Terraces
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- Lashihai Lake
- Lijiang Ancient Town
- Lugu Lake
- Meili Snow Mountain
- Shuanglang Town
- Shuhe Ancient Town
- Stone Forest
- Three Parallel Rivers
- Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces