Chinese Name: 西双版纳 English IPA: [Xishuang Banna] Location: Southernmost Part of Yunnan Population (city): 1,180,000 Language: Dai Language,Southeast Mandarin and Yunnan Dialect Zip code: 666100 Tel code: 0691 Time zone: UTC+8
Xishuangbanna is a name taken from Dai language which means “twelve administrative regions.” Xishuangbanna, the ancient Dai language as “Meng Bala Naxi”, meaning “ideal and magical paradise”, referring to the magical tropical rain forest natural landscape and ethnic customs known for the world, is one of China’s hot tourist cities. It is connected with Laos and Myanmar by mountains and rivers and also close to Thailand and Vietnam. The annual splash festival is held on April 13-15, known as the “Oriental Carnival”. Tourists can not only feel strong ethnic flavor but also appreciate beautiful tropical scenery here.
Highlights of Xishuangbanna
- Tropical Rain Forest: Xishuangbanna is famous for its mysterious tropical rainforest and minority customs. The dense and complicated primeval forests has nurtured the diverse boi-ecological system. Top rain forest includes Xishuangbanna Menglun Tropical Botanical Garden, Xishuangbanna Primeval Forest Park, WangTianShu Scenic Spot and Wild Elephant Valley, etc.
- Theravada Buddhism Culture: Dai people constitute the major population of Xishuangbanna. The Dai people follow Theravada Buddhism, and almost every Dai village has its own small temple built in the village site. Bright and magnificent Buddhist temples are common to be seen in Xishuangbanna, such as Zongfosi Temple, Mengle Buddhist Temple and Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion.
- Puer Tea Culture: Xishuangbanna is the home of China’s famous Puer tea. The oldest tea tree in Menghai is 700 years old. With the wide spreading fame of Puer tea, there are increasing number of tea lovers who join the Puer Tea Culture Tours to experience and discover more about Puer tea culture.
- Ethnic Festivals: The annual Water Splashing Festival of Dai people held from April 13 to 15 inspires people’s imagination of carnival and blessing. It is the “Oriental Carnival” that cannot be missed in Yunnan Travel. Besides, the Gatangpa Festival of Aini People is also becoming well known to outsiders.
- Dai Food: Dai food features in spicy and sour tastes, much like Thai cuisine. Some vegetables are eaten raw, particularly medicinal plants which are used to curb the effects of living in a high humidity area.The popular dishes are Pineapple Rice(菠萝饭), Toasted Fish Wrapped in Lemongrass(香茅草烤鱼), Fish Filets Grilled with Herbs(包烧鱼) and Fried Eggplant, etc.
Other Destinations in XishuangBanna
Xishuangbanna attractions are famous for amazing tropical rain forest, diverse ethnic culture and biological diversity.The main attractions include Menglun Tropical Botanical Garden, Manfeilong Pagodas (Tanuozhuanglong), Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion, Wild Elephant Valley and Dai Minority Garden at Ganlanba. If you are planning to travel to Xishuangbanna, Yunnan Exploration can customize Xishuangbanna tour packages for you based on your preferences. Top Attractions in Xishuangbanna Xishuangbanna is well known at home and abroad for its tropical rain forest [...]
Xishuangbanna Tours offer wide range of choices for your Xishuangbanna travel, such as Xishuangbanna Tea Culture Tours, Xishuangbanna Ethnic Culture Tours, Xishuangbanna Tropical Forest Tours, Xishuangbanna Cycling Tours or Xishuangbanna Cruise Tours. Our prearranged Xishuangbanna tour packages range from 1 day local trip to 46 days Yunnan Travel and you can choose what kind of them you like. Best Xishuangbanna Tours 1 Day Mekong River Speedboat Cruise Tour 1 Day North XishuangBanna Tour to Wild Elephant Valley and Jinuo Ethnic Village 1 Day East XishuangBanna Tour to [...]
Climate & When to Go
Xishuangbanna climate and weather is characterized by the combination of continental and oceanic climates with an annual average temperature of 18-22℃ (64.4-71.6℉). This page will give the detailed information about the four seasons of Xishangbanna, as well as what to wear during the Xishuangbanna travel. Xishuangbanna Climate & Weather Features of Xishuangbanna Climate Located south of the Tropic of Cancer, it enjoys the tropical monsoon climate. The mountainous area belongs to the subtropical humid monsoon climate. It is warming all year round, sunny [...]
Xishuangbanna transportation mainly relies on air plane and long-distance bus, connecting to major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou Xi'an,and Zhengzhou, etc. It has convenient air transportation to cities in Yunnan province such as Kunming, Dali, Lijiang and Shangri-la. Moreover, it has waterway transportation to Laos, Myanmar and Thailand. Xishuangbanna is located at the utmost southeast part of China. It is not only the major passageway and base to Southeast Asia and south Asia, but a [...]
Festivals and Activities
Xishuangbanna festivals and activities tell you what to do during the festival tour in Xishuangbanna, and they will surely enrich your Yunnan Travel. It is a place where multi-ethnic groups inhabit. The main minorities are Dai, Hani, Lahu, Yao, Hui, Yi, Miao and Zhuang, etc. Different nationalities create different cultures. Therefore, there are diverse festivals in Xishuangbanna. Xishuangbanna Festivals Dai and Hani ethnic minorities constitute the major ethnic population in Xishuangbanna, and they contribute rich diversities to the ethnic culture in [...]
Xishuangbanna Travel Tips will be helpful to plan your trip to here. For a better travel experience, it's necessary to read the information below. Xishuangbanna travel tips will also contribute to your Yunnan Travel. Useful Numbers Phone Dialing Code 0691 Fire 119 Police 110 Ambulance 120 Weather Forecast 121 Tourist complaint 2162177 Comprehensive Information 12580 Airport information center 0691-2159130 Taxi complaint 0691-2132173 Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture Tourism Bureau 0691-2129851 Jinghong City Tourism Bureau 0691-2122077 Menghai County Tourism Bureau 0691-5122710 Mengla County Tourism Bureau 0691-8122291 Xishuangbanna Tourism Quality Supervision Administration 0691-96927 Xishuangbanna Center for Disease Control and Prevention 0691-213395 Best time to Visit Xishuangbanna Xishuangbanna weather is featured by 'hot'. The annual average [...]
Xishuangbanna maps include Xishuangbanna Prefecture Map, Xishuangbanna Attraction Map, Xishuangbanna Tour Map, Xishuangbanna Transportation Map, Xishuangbanna Location Map, etc., through which you will get the overall information about Xishuangbanna for your Yunnan Travel. You will get to know how to explore and what to see in Xishuangbanna which covers 19,184.45 square kilometers of territory, with tourist and scenic resorts making up 1,202.13 square kilometers, and nature reserves occupying a total of 2,064.6 square kilometers. Xishuangbanna Tourist Attractions Maps [images_gallery [...]
Xishuangbanna Accommodation offers you wide range of choices from luxury five -star hotels to economic hotels, as well as featured inns located in city center and hot attractions. As a popular tourist city, Xishuangbanna is ready to offer you various accommodations with well-appointed rooms and superior service. We selected the following hotels in Xishuangbanna for their good location and best valued price. Recommended Hotels in Xishuangbanna The Best Luxury 5-star Hotels in Xishuangbanna Xishuangbanna Anantara Resort (西双版纳安纳塔拉度假酒店 ) Address: Menglun Town of Mengla [...]
Other Hot Destinations in China
- Babao Town
- Baisha Ancient Town
- Baoshan Stone Town
- Dali Ancient Town
- Dongchuan Red Land
- Haba Snow Mountain
- Heshun Ancient Town
- Honghe Hani Rice Terraces
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- Lashihai Lake
- Lijiang Ancient Town
- Lugu Lake
- Meili Snow Mountain
- Shuanglang Town
- Shuhe Ancient Town
- Stone Forest
- Three Parallel Rivers
- Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces