How to Travel in Yunnan
How to Travel in Yunnan mainly introduces Yunnan basic travel facts, the most popular Yunnan tours, the must-see attractions, the best time to visit Yunnan, how many people in your Yunnan travel, how many days you stay in Yunnan, and some FAQs you may encounter in your Yunnan travel, etc.
Yunnan Basic Travel Facts
|Location||The most southwestern province in China|
|Area||394,100 square kilometers|
|Famous Cities||Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Shangri-La, Yuanyang, Jianshui, Xishuangbanna|
|Climate||Tropical and Subtropical Monsoon Climate|
|Zip Code||650000 to 674600|
|Airports||14 airports(in 2017), several are under construction|
|GDP||1486.995 billion yuan(in 2016)|
|GDP Per Capita||31,397 yuan(in 2016)|
|Famous Universities||Yunnan University, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Yunnan University of Finance and Economics|
|Titles||Plant Kingdom, Animal Kingdom|
|Main Lakes||Dianchi Lake, Fuxian Lake, Erhai Lake, Lugu Lake|
|Major Rivers||Lancang River(Mekong), Jinsha River(River of Golden Sands), Nujiang River(Salween), Honghe River(Red River)|
|Culture||Ancient Dian Culture, Nanzhao-Dali Culture, Dongba Culture, Dai Culture, Yi Culture|
|UNESCO||Lijiang Ancient Town(in 1997), Three Parallel Rivers Nature Reserve(in 2003), Stone Forest(in 2007), Honghe Hani Rice Terraces(in 2013)|
|Administrative Divisions||Eight Prefecture-level Cities and Eight Autonomous Prefectures|
Most Popular Yunnan Tours
- 4 Days Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Group Tour
- 6 Days Kunming-Dali-Lijiang Tour
- 7 Days Kunming, Dali and Lijiang Tour with Dianhong Black Tea Culture Tour
Yunnan Tours by Theme
- Ancient Tea Horse Road Tour
- Camping Tours
- Haba Snow Mountain Tours
- Minority Festival Tours
- Students Education Tours
- Tea Culture Tours
- Yunnan Birdwatching Tour
- Yunnan Hiking Tours
- Yunnan Classic Tours
- Yunnan Muslim Tours
- Yunnan Photograph Tours
- Yunnan Motorbike Tours
More about Tour Packages in Yunnan
Yunnan Tours by Region
Must-see Attractions in Yunnan
Reputed as the “Colorful Yunnan” with both brilliant culture and profound history, you can enjoy the most unforgettable time during your Yunnan travel. Yunnan is an exotic, amazing and unforgettable place with high mountains, tropic forests, waterfalls, and distinct folk customs, which is an important and most attractive tourism destination.
- Stone Forest
- Baisha Ancient Town
- Dongchuan Red Land
- Haba Snow Mountain
- Lugu Lake
- Meili Snow Mountain
- Shaxi Ancient Town
- Three Parallel Rivers
- Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Dongchuan Red Land
- Lijiang Ancient Town
- Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces
- Dali Ancient Town
- Erhai Lake
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- Songzanlin Monastery
- Pudacuo National Park
Yunnan Attractions by Region
Best Time to Visit Yunnan
If you had to pick a single province in all China that would expose you to the greatest variations in topography and climate, it would have to be Yunnan Province. There is an old and accurate saying here that “You can enjoy all four seasons on the same mountain, where each of these four season is only a few miles distant from the others. So, the best time to visit Yunnan Province depends clearly on the region you like to visit. Yunnan is a very diverse province with the Himalayas in the north and subtropics in the south. Thus, there are also specific times of the year when it’s best to visit certain destinations. The following links will tell you the best time to visit prefectures and cities in Yunnan
Yunnan Climate by Region
How Many People in Your Yunnan Travel
How many people are in your Yunnan Travel? Yunnan Exploration will customize the most suitable tour according to the number of people. If you are alone, Solo Travel Yunnan will provide the detailed information related to where to go, where to stay, what and where to eat and shop, etc. You can choose the following tours according to the number of people.
- Yunnan Private Car and Driver Tour
- Yunnan Small Group Tours
- Yunnan Private Tours
- Chinese-speaking Group Tours
How to Get to Yunnan
With the growth of economy, Yunnan boasts very convenient transportation systems with modern transportation facilities. Yunnan is served by numerous transport modes including several civilian airports and a major highway and rail network, and forms an integral part of the structure Yunnan Province and the Southwest of China. Therefore, traveling to Yunnan, tourists can take those means of transportation for getting to and around. Yunnan Province is large geographically and its transport hub is the capital of Kunming, which acts as an important gateway, linking China to Southeast Asia, South Asia and the Asia-Pacific region.
More about How to Get to Yunnan
Yunnan Transportation by Region
Make the Travel Duration Sure
If you plan to take a tour in Yunnan, you’d better decide the attractions that you want to go. Then, it is easy to decide on how many days to spend in Yunnan. In general, 2-3 days is only for visiting one top city in Yunnan. Of course, you can only visit the highlights of a city for there are numerous attractions in top city. Generally speaking, 6-10 days is the recommended choice, which you can visit the highlights of Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Shangri-La.
- 1 Day Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 2 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 3 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 4 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 5 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 6 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 7 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 8 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 9 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 10 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 11 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
- 12 Days Yunnan Travel Itinerary
More about How Many Days to Spend for Yunnan Trip
Basic Travel Tips for Yunnan Travel
Where to Stay in Yunnan
As a top tourist resort, there are a lot of inns and hotels in Yunnan with different standards, especially in Kunming, Lijiang, Dali, Shangri-La. You may have enjoyed the 5-star modern hotels, however, it will be special to stay at hotels with traditional style and standard hygiene which presents beautiful local architecture, surrounded by lush greenery. Yunnan, as one of the important destinations in China, is famous for the numerous hotels and you can always choose the most suitable hotel for your Yunnan Tour.
Yunnan Accommodation by Region
Travel Individually or Tour with a Travel Company?
For foreign tourists, Yunnan is a complex destination considering its diverse destination options, traffic connections, and the low level of English. There are many tourist sites in Yunnan, and many things to do. It is a skill to design an itinerary which covers the highlights, maximizes your time, and cuts corners.
The signs in English are limited in many spots and at train/bus stations. You may encounter the language barrier and get lost. If you don’t want any hassles, we recommend you travel with a professional travel company, such as Yunnan Exploration. We will take care of everything. All you need to do is to enjoy the beautiful sceneries.
What to Pack for Yunnan Travel
- Take care of your luggage and important things, such as passport and visa.
- Prepare for your SIM card to make sure the internet use in China.
- Take some medicine with you for emergency use, especially if you are easy to get altitude sickness.
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and hats for the strong ultraviolet ray on the plateau.
- Don’t forget your umbrella and rain gear during the rainy seasons.
- Pack suitable clothes, windproof jacket and thick coat are suggested, outdoor clothing will be good.
Matters Need Attention
- Read some basic information about Yunnan and China so that you could have a better experience there.
- Respect and follow local custom and avoid conflicts.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits, drink plenty of water, it may help you to avoid altitude sickness.
- Check out the weather report before your travel. Do not go sightseeing in bad weather.
- In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
How to Plan Yunnan Travel by Theme
- Winter Ski Tour
- Family Tour
- Muslim Tour
- Cycling Tour
- Snow Mountain Tour
- Minority Festivals Tour
- Ethnic Markets Tour
- Photography Tour
- Motorbike Tour
- Food Culture
- Tea Culture Tour
- Minorities Discovery Tour
- Join Group Tour
- Hiking Tour
- Flowers Tour
- Birdwatching Tour
- Wildlife Tour
- Students Education Tour
- Hot Spring Tour
- Golf Tour
- Honeymoon Tour
How to Plan Yunnan Travel by Region