Tiger Leaping Gorge Overview
Tiger Leaping Gorge overview includes fast facts about its basic information, climate, best time to visit, culture, transportation, things to do, hiking tips, etc. As one of the deepest and most spectacular river canyons in the world, the scenery of Tiger Leaping Gorge is gorgeous. Foreign backpackers started hiking in the area in the 1980s and now Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour has been one of the most famous hiking tour all around the world.
- Chinese Name: 虎跳峡
- English Name: Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Keywords: First Hiking Route in China, One of Ten Typical Hiking Routes in the World
- Area: 1 million square kilometers
- Location: About 100 km north from Lijiang, the Gorge is precisely located between the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and the Haba Snow Mountain, Hutiaoxia Town, Shangri-La City, Diqing Prefecture, Yunnan Province, China
- Altitude: 1,630-1,800 meters
- Opening Time: 09:00-16:30
- Admission Fee: 65 Yuan
- Three Sections of Tiger Leaping Gorge: Upper Section, Middle Section, Middle Section
- Hiking: High Trail or Gravel Road, strenuous but more fun
Tiger Leaping Gorge weather is generally mild, with abundant rainfall and plenty of sunshine. It has an average annual temperature between 13°C(55°F) and 20°C(68°F), without too much change from spring to winter. In summer, the temperature just falls between 10-26°C(50-79°F) low because of the continuous rain. Coming to winter, the high mountains block the cold air from northern China, so it is still as warm as spring for most of the days.
Best Time to Visit Tiger Leaping Gorge
Tiger Leaping Gorge hike can be undertaken at any time around the year as it enjoys a mild climate even in winter (5-15 degrees Celsius), but the temperature difference of a day is great. Between April and June and the autumn time during September to October is the best time to travel. During these two periods it is suitable to go hiking on the Tiger Leaping Gorge, also can see the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain scenery. The late spring and early summer the temperature is moderate, flowers on the meadow blooming like a piece of brocade which is charming.
Legend about Tiger Leaping Gorge
It is said that a hunter was chasing a tiger through the gorge many years ago. When it reached the narrowest point the tiger leaping across the Jinsha River, escaping the furious hunter. The rock where the tiger made its jump is now an iconic viewing point.
There is another legend that a rich Lijiang ruler, Lord Mu, rode on his tiger to go along the side of Jinsha River one day. He and tiger went to a relatively narrow area, the tiger leaped to a large rock in the center of the river. The tiger landed but Lord Mu was not landing at the same time and had dropped into a rolling river. Time has passed, there left a tiger leaping stone for future generations.
Trekking is an activity in which people take multi-day hiking trips through rural, often rugged territory. Many people who are trekkers engage in longer trips through entire regions of the world, using trekking as a way of getting from place to place. It also can be incorporated with other outdoor sports, such as rock climbing or backpacking.
Hiking is different from other types of travel for several reasons. It tends to be less structured than other sorts of travel, because weather conditions and topography can influence trekkers' travel plans more than plane flights or hotel availability. As travelers move on foot through rural areas, trekking gives them an up-close view of the scenery. Many trekkers travel through isolated areas and get a travel experience that is much different from that of people who travel in organized groups to popular destinations. This often allows trekkers to interact with nature while doing things such as climbing a rock wall or navigating through a mountain range.
There are two buses depart (8:00 and 8:30) from Lijiang to Hutiaoxia Town directly. Or you can take a bus from Lijiang to Shangri-La City, and drop off at Hutiaoxia Town.There are many buses from Shangri-La City to Lijiang, getting off at Hutiaoxia Town.
More about Tiger Leaping Gorge Transportation
Things to Do
Yunnan Tiger Leaping Gorge include three parts: the upper section(Lijiang Side, Shangri-La Side), middle section and lower section. The Tiger Leaping Gorge is famous for its steepness, one of the deepest gorges in the world and sits between Haba Snow Mountain in the north and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in the south. As a hiking paradise, Things to Do in Tiger Leaping Gorge Yunnan cover challenging sections like 28 Zigzag Turns and Middle Rapids which are considered as the highlights of Tiger Leaping Gorge. In addition, Walnut Garden Village, Bendiwan Village is also a favored spot by hikers. The Top Tiger Leaping Gorge Attractions are absolutely the splendid gorge and surging Jinsha River.
Top Attractions in Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Jinsha River
- The Stone of Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Guanyin Waterfall of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Daju Ferry of Lower Tige Leaping Gorge
- 28 Zigzag Bends of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- The Middle Section of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- The Lower Section of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Bamboo Forest of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Yixiantian in the Middle Section
- The Upper Section(Lijiang Side)
- The Upper Section(Shangrila Side)
- The Stone and Middle Rapids
- The Sky Ladder of The Middle Section
Why Begin Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour
As the deepest gorge in the world, the scenery of Tiger Leaping Gorge is spectacular. Foreign backpackers started hiking in the area in the 1980s and now Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour has been one of the most famous hiking tour all around the world. From the top of Tiger Leaping Gorge, you can look down the steeply angled (70-90 degrees) mountain sides to the rushing Jinsha River with its 18 frothing rapids more than 200 meters below. Naturally Tiger Leaping Gorge is divided into three sections: Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge, Middle Tiger Leaping Gorge and Lower Tiger Leaping Gorge.
Where and What to Eat in Tiger Leaping Gorge
All of the guesthouses provide local food and simple western food because it has been a long history of Tiger Leaping Gorge hiking for international tourists.These tourists taught local people how to cook western food with local food.So it is very convenient to enjoy very nice food along the Tiger Leaping Gorge.
Travel Tips of Tiger Leaping Gorge
Recommended Visit Time
It is recommended to take 3 to 4 days to walk inside the Gorge and enjoy the scenery. It is definitely a good plan if you have enough time to walk on side ways, linger under the sun and chat with local people. Yunnan Exploration has rich experience in working out Tiger Leaping Gorge hiking plan and offers professional English tour guide, please contact us to design your Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking tour without hesitation.
Recommended Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Routes
|Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Routes||Time|
|• Lijiang - Qiaotou - High Trail - Middle Tiger Leaping Stone - Ferry - Daju - Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (Maoniuping) - Lijiang||3-4 Days|
|• Lijiang-Qiaotou - High Trail - Middle Tiger Leaping Stone/Upper Tiger Leaping Stone - Qiaotou - Lijiang / Zhongdian||2 Days|
|• Lijiang - Qiaotou - High Trail - Middle Tiger Leaping Stone - Baishuitai , Haba Village - Zhongdian||3-4 Days|
(All itineraries proposed here don't include the time you would spend in Lijiang and Zhongdian.)
Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tips
- While trekking in Tiger Leaping Gorge, watch out for the slippery stone paths. Skid-resistant shoes are recommended to avoid accidents.
- You can travel lightly. Meals, drinks and accommodations are available. The inns may not provide clean sheets, so you might want to take sheets. Be sure to have rain gear of some kind and a canteen or water bottle.
- Though the trail is well used, it is not safer to hike alone. It might be best to travel with a partner or in a group. If you get hurt, a partner can help. Hospitals and clinics in the area may not have someone who speaks English. It is easier to get lost if you are alone. Yunnan Exploration offers professional English tour guides who have rich experience in Tiger Leaping Gorge HIking Tour. If you are interested in Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour, please contact us to design your private tour.