Hekou County Overview

Hekou County Overview is a relatively comprehensive introduction to Hekou. In this part, you will have a general understanding of Hekou.

1. Basic Information

Chinese Name: 河口县

County Seat of Hekou: Hekou Town

Location: The South of Yunnan Province

Area Code: 0873

Zip Code: 661300

Area: 1332 square kilometers

Population: 104,609(in 2010)

Language: Yunnan Dialect, Yao Language

2. Geographical location

Hekou Yao Autonomous County lies in the southeast of Honghe Prefecture. Its geographical coordinates are 103°23′-104°17′ east longitude and 22°30′-23°02′ north latitude. It borders Maguan county(马关县) in the northeast, Pingbian(屏边) Miao Autonomous County in the north, Vietnam in the south and faces Jinping(金平) Miao, Yao and Dai Autonomous County across the Honghe River. The boundary line is 193 kilometers.

The area of Hekou county is 57.5 kilometers from north to south, 90.75 kilometers from east to west, covering a total area of 1332 square kilometers. Mountainous area is 97.76% of total area, the remaining 2.24% is valley and basin. The county seat is 469 kilometers from Kunming, 168 kilometers from Mengzi and 295 kilometers away from Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam.

Terrain of Hekou County is stair-step, which appears high in the north and low in the south, tilting towards southeast gradually. Centered on Hekou Town, the county spreads fan-shaped along Honghe River and Nanxi River to the northeast and northwest.

3. Climate

With low latitude, Hekou county enjoys the tropical monsoon climate. Hekou climate is classified as warm and temperate throughout the year. The summers are more rainfall than the winters in Hekou County.

4. Administrative divisions

Hekou county has jurisdiction over 2 towns, 3 townships and 1 ethnic town: Hekou Town河口镇, Nanxi Town南溪镇, Yaoshan Township瑶山乡, Lianhuatan Township莲花滩乡, Laofanzhai Township老范寨乡, Qiaotou Miao and Zhuang Ethnic Town桥头苗族壮族乡.

5. Ethnic Groups

Hekou County is mainly inhabited by Han people(38.42%), Yao people(22.96%) Miao people(15.56%), Zhuang people(11.44%), Yi people(4.84%), Dai people(2.21%) and Hani people(1.51%).

6. Ethnic Festivals

As the largest minority group of Hekou, Yao owns its unique festival and custom, involving its grandest traditional festival, Panwang Festival; unique coming-of-age ceremony, Dujie Ceremony(度戒礼); and folk custom of marriage propose. More festivals in Hekou County include Huashan Festival(花山节) of Miao, Double Third Day(三月三) of Zhuang and The Torch Festival of Yi, etc.

7. Local Specialties

Tropical climate contributes to rich fruits in Hekou county, like banana, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, jack fruit, litchi, durian, coconut and so on. There are also some local special food, such as Lemongrass Roast Fish(香茅草烤肉), Fried Spring Roll and Vietnamese Steamed Rice Roll, etc.

8. Accommodation

Although economy is to be developed in Hekou County, with the development of border trade, infrastructure has also been improved. The accommodation in Hekou County can be available easily with a favorable price.

9. Transportation

Since there is no airport yet, transportation in Hekou county is mainly long-distance bus and train. It takes less time to travel by long-distance bus than by train. When you are getting around Hekou county, taxi, bus and minibus are main vehicles.

10. Education

Hekou county is relatively backward in education. It need more donation and the support of government.

11. History

In Han dynasty, Hekou County was under the administration of Jinsang County, Zangke Prefecture(牂牁郡进桑县). In Ming dynasty, it was governed by Wang Nongshan in Linan Fu(临安府王弄山). In the 23rd year of Qing Guang Xu(1897), established Xundu government office(汛督办公署). In the 15th year of republic of China(1926), it was classified as special administrative region. In 1950, it was changed into Hekou City and Hekou County in 1955. In 1963, Hekou County was changed into Hekou Yao Autonomous County.

12. Top Attractions

Attractions in Hekou County are the combination of historical sites and natural scenery. Main historical sites include Gushan Paleolithic SiteSite of the Former CustomSite of the Former Post Office and Site of the Ancient Fort. Main natural scenery, like Huayudong National Forest ParkGehao Summer Resort and Nanxi River Scenic Spot, are popular among local people.