Mengla County Culture
Ethnic Culture in Mengla Xishuangbanna is also diverse and colorful. Mengla county is one of the counties where many ethnic minorities live together. The strong ethnic customs here has put on a mysterious veil to this county.
1.Ethnic Groups in Mengla
There are 26 ethnic minorities living in Mengla County including Dai, Hani, Yi, Yao, Miao, Zhuang, Lahu, etc. The minority population is 182,200, accounting for 74.3% of the whole population, among which there are 63,200 Dai, 60,900 Hani, 23,200 Yi and 19,400 Yao.
2. Ethnic Townships in Mengla
• Xiangming Yi Ethnic Township(象明彝族乡), Mengla County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
• Yaoqu Yao Ethnic Township(瑶区瑶族乡), Mengla County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
3. Traditional Ethnic Villages in Mengla
• Manlongle Village(曼龙勒村), Mengla Town, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
• Mandan Village(曼旦村), Mengla County, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
4. Ethnic Festivals in Mengla
Each ethnic minority in Mengla has their own unique festivals to celebrate such as the The Water Splashing Festival of Dai People, “Gatangpa” Festival of Aini People(a branch of Hani), Panwang Festival of Yao, etc.