Mengla County Travel Tips
• Fire: 119 • Police: 110 • Ambulance: 120
• Weather Forecast: 121
• Tourist complaint: 0691-8122291
• Xishuangbanna Airport Inquiry Telephone: 0691-2159129
2. Post Office
There are more than 20 post offices serving in the towns and townships of Mengla County. Here we just introduce part of them.
• Mengla County Post Office
Add: No.2, Chengbei Road, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County Post Office(Mengpeng Town)
Add: Mengpeng Town, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County Post Office(Menglun Town)
Add: Menglun Town, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County Post Office(Mengla Town)
Add: Mengla Town, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County Post Office(Xiangming Township)
Add: Xiangming Township, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• People's Bank of China(Mengla Branch)
Add: No.16, Chengnan Road, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• China Construction Bank(Mengla Branch)
Add: No.105, Building 9, Bihaiyuntian Residential Community, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Agricultural Bank of China(Mengla Branch)
Add: No.1, Jinggang Street, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Industrial and Commercial Bank of China(Mengla Branch)
Add: No.4, Zheng Street, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County People's Hospital
Add: No.27, Kangfu Road, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County Chinese Medicine Hospital
Add: No.28, Yingbin Road, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
• Mengla County Maternal and Child Health Hospital
Add: No.4, Qixiang Road, Mengla County, Xishuangbanna
Most people in Mengla are Dai people, Hani, Yi. They have their own languages, which are quiet different from Chinese. Most of them can speak good Chinese but hardly English.
6. How to Get to Mengla County
Mengla County can be accessible by air and long-distance bus. The nearest airport is Xishuangbanna Gasa Airport located in Jinghong City and tourists can fly to Gasa airport and then transfer to Mengla County. Long-Distance Bus is another important way getting to Mengla County, which could be accessible from Kunming, Jinghong, Luang Prabang, etc.
7.Best Time to Visit Mengla
The best time to visit Mengla is during the dry season (from November to April), when the weather is agreeable and the temperature is mild. If you would like to taste the rich tropical fruit here, traveling during the period from June to September is a good choice.
Try to avoid the peak holidays due to crowded Chinese tourists such as Chinese Spring Festival (usually in late Jan or early Feb.), International Labor Day (May 01 to 03) and National Day (Oct 01-07). Spring Festival and the National Day golden week are the most crowded time for travelling.
8. What to See
Surrounded by untouched rainforest, Mengla is the southern gateway to Xishuangbanna. The top attractions in Mengla include Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Wangtianshu Scenic Area and Air Corridor, Nanla River, etc. Also many tea mountains and ethnic villages in Mengla are also favored by many tourists at home and aboard.
9. Dressing Tips
Tourists had better bring more T-shirts, short pants and one piece of thin coat to prevent the cool weather at night. And sandal is necessary because of the hot weather.
• Dry Season(November to May): Bring sun glasses, sun creen, mosquito repellent, sunhat and medicine to prevent heatstroke.
• Rainy Season(July to October): Due to the wet weather, you may feel uncomfortable when sweat streaming. It's recommended to bring a piece of small towel, umbrella, mosquito repellent, sunscreen and medicine to prevent heatstroke.
• Water is so important that Dai people care a lot about the cleanness of water. There is a well with beautiful decroration in every Dai village, into which nobody can throw anything.
• Except for believing in Hinayana Buddhism, Dai nationality still keeps original religion. In daily life, Dai people will hold many sacrifice activities that tourists can not have a look.
• The bedrooms of Dai people are not opened to outsiders.
• If you see symbol of “米” in the door of bamboo house, it represents that this family has pregnant woman. At this time, outsiders are not welcomed.
• If you travel alone, please don't tell stranger your travel destination casually.
• Tourists had better not arrive at the destination at night. If you can't avoid arriving late, it's recommended to stay near airport.
• Tourists should respect the folk custom and taboo of local ethnic minorities especially when you have a visit to local villages and residences.