Xishuangbanna climate and weather is characterized by the combination of continental and oceanic climates with an annual average temperature of 18-22℃ (64.4-71.6℉). This page will give the detailed information about the four seasons of Xishangbanna, as well as what to wear during the Xishuangbanna travel.
Xishuangbanna Climate & Weather
Features of Xishuangbanna Climate
Located south of the Tropic of Cancer, it enjoys the tropical monsoon climate. The mountainous area belongs to the subtropical humid monsoon climate. It is warming all year round, sunny and rich in heat, humid and rainy. Xishuangbanna enjoys a tropical monsoon climate with abundant sunshine and plentiful rainfall. Just like a local saying goes "Xishuangbanna has long summer and rainy autumn". "Hot" is the word mostly used by people to describe the weather there. It is a place without winter, snow is never seen in Xishuangbanna. The weather and climate in Xishuangbanna is different from that of other places of your Yunnan Travel.
Graph of Average Temperatures and Precipitation by Month
From the chart, we could know that the hottest days occur in April and May, while July in summer is endowed with plenty of rainfalls, cooling down the hot weather.
Chart of Sunny Days by Month
Winter and early spring are the seasons with plenty of sunny days, also in the dry season of Xishuangbanna. Jan, Feb and March enjoy the most of the sunny days of the year around.
Four Seasons of Xishuangbanna & What to Pack
Xishuangbanna is one of the few places in Yunnan Province where there is no winter. In the coldest January, the average temperature here is 16℃, while in the hottest days, the average temperature is only 28℃. Such warm temperatures make Xishuangbanna a place where snow has never been seen and a place that enjoys plenty of sunshine. Xishuangbanna has only two seasons in a year: dry season and rainy season.
- Rainy Season: The rainy season lasts for 5 monthes from June to late October, and the precipitation accounted for more than 80% of the annual precipitation. However, scattered showers take up certain amount in the rainy days, so people can still enjoy the sunshine during the wet season.
- Dry Season: The dry season is from November to the late May of the next year. Dry season enjoy most of the sunny days in the year around and is the favored time for tourists to travel in Xishuangbanna for escaping the cold.
Here are some weather facts of Xishuangbanna:
- On average, the temperatures are always high.
- On average, the warmest month is April.
- On average, the coolest month is January.
- August is the wettest month. This month should be avoided if you don't like too much rain.
- February is the driest month.
What to Pack
Be sure to bring enough T-shirts and shorts for the warm weather. A jacket is also necessary, because it will be a little cold in early morning and late night. Sandals must be prepared. Sandals are worn almost every day when you get there, and sneakers are needed if you join a hiking tour.
- Dry season (November-May): The weather is hot, T-shirts, shorts and scandals are necessary. It is cool in Januarary, so if you travel to Xishuangbanna in Jan, you should also prepare long sleeves, coat and trousers. In addition, sunglasses, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, sunshade cap and anti-heatstroke drugs are essential.
- Rainy Season (June-October): The weather is hot and humid, and you will feel sweaty. It is recommended to bring a small towel when going out. Umbrella, mosquito repellent, sunscreen and heatstroke prevention drugs (such as Huoxiang Zhengqi Capsule 藿香正气胶囊) are essential.
Best Time to Visit Xishuangbanna
The best time to visit Xishuangbanna is during the dry season (from November to April), when the weather is agreeable and the temperature is mild. Dry season is also the peak tourism time of Xishuangbanna, especially April, for the Water Splashing Festival is celebrated in April. If you would like to taste the various tropical fruit here, traveling during the rainy period from June to September is a good choice.
Travel Tips for Visiting Xishuangbanna
Try to avoid the peak holidays such as Chinese Spring Festival (usually in late Jan or early Feb.), International Labor Day (May 01 to 03) and National Day (Oct 01-07). Spring Festival and the National Day golden week are the most crowded time for travelling.
- How to Plan a Xishuangbanna Tour
- How Many Days to Spend in XishuangBanna
- Top Things You Must Do in XishuangBanna During Your Yunnan Tour