Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces Climate
The information on Yuanyang climate could be helpful for preparing a Yunnan travel. Because of high altitude and low latitude, Yuanyang enjoys a subtropical mountain monsoon climate, with the three-dimensional climatic feature of "one mountain has four seasons, every mile has different weather". Yuanyang County is one of the important production places of tropical fruit, cloud-fog tea and gold.
Yuanyang Climate Features
Yuanyang county has abundant rainfall, with an annual average rainfall of 1397.6 mm, annual relative humidity of 85%, and fog period of 174-180 days. The precipitation is concentrated in July and August.
Yuanyang enjoys a subtropical monsoon climate with an annual average temperature of around 16℃. The whole Yuanyang county ranges from 144 meters along the red river to 2939.6 meters above the sea level in the Ailao mountain. Weather and temperature may vary with altitude. Therefore, the temperature of Hani rice terraces will be lower, and the temperature difference between day and night is relatively large. The highest temperature occurs in July.
Yuanyang Weather by Month
What to Pack for Yuanyang Rice Terraces Travel
Yuanyang is located on the tropic of cancer, ultraviolet is very strong at noon, tourists should pay attention to the sun protection, the sunscreen products like sunscreen and hat are needed. The annual average temperature of Yuanyang is 16.4℃, and the temperature difference between morning and evening is relatively large. When traveling in Yuanyang in Winter, you are supposed to keep warm. Clothes are mainly portable, and warm coat and outdoor jacket are indispensable, especially for those who get up early to shoot sunrise. Besides, there are many villages around Yuanyang rice terraces, most of them are in poor transportation, and roads are mainly mountain roads, some villages even have to trek to get there, so it is best to wear flat shoes.
Four Seasons of Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces
- Feature: Spring, when the weather get warmer, is the season of sowing and transplanting the seedlings in Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces. In the spring time, the cattle is working in the rice fields, the local Hani people is transplanting rice seedlings and after several days, the whole rice terraces turn into green which looks so lively together with green mountains.
- What to Bring: During spring, temperature changes between day and night. You can bring T-shirts, long-sleeved shirts and thin jackets in this season.
- Recommended Tour Activities: Enjoy the breathtaking sunrise and sunset of Duoyishu rice terraces and Laohuzui rice terraces and photography this beautiful moment.
- Feature: The temperature in Summer is higher than other seasons, though the weather is quite pleasant and not too hot. At that time, the paddies are luxuriantly green with growing rice stalks, full of vigor.
- What to Bring: To protect yourself from the strong solar radiation, you need sunglasses, suncream and other sunscreen products. In addition, T-shirts and thin jackets are necessary due to the daily temperature difference.
- Recommended Tour Activities: Take part in Torch festival, Kuzhazha festival and long street banquet during this time, see ethnic wrestling, listen to folk songs, watch ethnic dance performances and more ethnic minority activities.
- Feature: Autumn is the harvest season, in the harvest time, terraces change its color from green to yellow, the whole Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces looks splendid. Rice terraces with different harvest times show different colors, either deep or light.
- What to Bring: You need to prepare some warm coats to cope with a sudden drop in temperature.
- Recommended Tour Activities: Hiking along the Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces is a good way to enjoy the golden paddies and experience local Hani culture.
- Feature: The Yuanyang Hani rice terraces are flooded in the winter and early spring before planting rice seedlings. The water-filled rice terraces are like thousands of mirrors reflecting the blue sky, green hills and mountains, or the sunrise and sunset, reflecting through this water surface of the terraces presents a marvelous view. It is the best time for photographing.
- What to Bring: Wearing warm underwear and woolen sweaters is a wise choice for the cold night in winter.
- Recommended Tour Activities: Join the long street banquet; trekking along Yuanyang Hani rice terraces and visit local ethnic villages.
The Best Time to Visit Yuanyang Rice Terraces
The core area of Honghe Hani Rice Terrace is Yuanyang Rice Terrace, spring, summer, autumn and winter, different scenery in four seasons. It is available to visit Yuanyang all year round, but the best time to visit Yuanyang rice terraces is in winter(from November to next April). In winter, there is only water in paddy field. With the change of sunray, terrace presents different beautiful scenery. Sea of cloud often appears at these months. If you want to experience rice transplanting, come and visit Yuanyang Terrace in late April.
Avoid Public Holidays in China
Try to avoid the public holidays of China, such as May Day Holiday(May 1-3), National Day Holiday(October 1-7), Spring Festival Holiday(Usually early February), Qingming Festival(in early April), Dragon Boat Festival(in June). Spring festival and national day festival are the most crowded time to travel. During these holidays, there will be a large crowd in the tourist attractions and you can't really enjoy yourself. Hotels are usually more expensive than usual.