Can I Take a Tour or Trek to Yubeng Village and Meili Snow Mountain in Winter?
Meili Snow Mountain is located about 10 kilometers north-east of Deqin County, Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Yunnan Province. It is a holy land of pilgrimage for Tibetan Buddhists, and ranks the first among the eight sacred mountains in Tibet area. Known for the grandest view in Yunnan Province, it boasts numerous snow-clad ridges and peaks, thirteen of which exceed 6,000 meters above the sea level. The most splendid view is of the Kawagebo Peak, the highest peak in Yunnan Province at the altitude of 6,740 meters. Yubeng village, a tiny Tibetan village at the foot of the Meili Snow Mountain, is the paradise for hikers. These special trekking routes are usually combined with the destinations like Meili Snow Mountain. Many travelers has asked us can they take a tour to Yubeng village and Meili Snow Mountain, here we give you a complete summary about this question.
1. Best Time to Visit
Best Time to Visit Yubeng Village
From May to July in late spring and early summer and from September to October in autumn are the best time to visit Yubeng Village. From May to July, the flowers are blossoming. From September to October, the scenery is charming. While winter is the dry season of Yubeng village, with more clear sky and warm sunshine, when Yubeng village is more attractive with beautiful snow scenery. So many travelers choose to trek Yubeng village in winter to discover its another mysterious face.
Best Time to Visit Meili Snow Mountain
The ideal season to visit Meili Snow Mountain is winter and spring period between October to Next May. After the end of October, the weather is great and the visibility is high. Visitors can view the Kawagebo Peak at this period. Usually the snow mountain can be seem when the sun just rises. However, the weather of Meili Snow Mountain changed at every moment so that visitors may be lucky enough to view Kawagebo Peak.
2. Winter Scenery of Yubeng Village/Meili Snow Mountain
Snow Scenery: The white snowy world of Yubeng village is particularly beautiful, just as the kingdom of heaven, so more and more tourists come to enjoy its snow in winter. During this time, the village in the col is covered with white, and everything seemed to stand still. Bring hiking poles, you’ll need them to help you out in the snow. The waterfall was frozen and dripping like ice. It looks clean and holy.
Kawagebo Peak: The winter weather in Meili snow mountain is sunny and good. It’s the best time to the golden peak of Kawagebo. At the Meili Snow Mountains, the golden sunrise on its dramatic snow-capped peaks is a must-see for most tourists. The first golden sunlight shines over Kawagebo and then spreads quickly over the 13 peaks. Against the backdrop of the dark-blue sky, the sunrise is considered very holy, and is astonishing.
3. How to Get to Yubeng Village in Winter
Because of the unique topography, there are no any roads to Yubeng Village, hiking and riding a mule are the only ways to go in and out Yubeng Village. While until July 2018, a dirty road was paved for locals and tourists can take their pickup truck getting in the village. Please pay attention that sometimes the pickup truck is not available, if you want to get in by the vehicle, please consult us in advance. So does the mules. If it snows, you can only walk into the village. Below we introduce you how to get to Xidang Hot Spring(the starting point of Yubeng trekking) from other places. Please first read the information about How to Get to Shangrila.
How to Get to Xidang Hot Spring from Shangrila
• Take long-distance bus from Shangri-La to Deqin, then transfer to Xidang Hot Spring. There are four long-distance buses from Shangri-La to Deqin every day.
• It’s very easy to take a taxi to Feilaisi Temple, lasting for only 20 minutes. From Feilaisi Temple, there are mini buses leaving to Xidang Hot Spring every morning.
In winter, the transportation fare is a bit higher than usual.
Please read more information about Yubeng Village Transportation.
4. Dining and Accommondation in Winter
The shops along the trail to Yubeng will be closed in winter and there are less guesthouses to choose from. The condition of accommodation is not like some hotels in modern cities. There are some wooden guesthouses in Tibetan style which will provide local food for customers. You can also enjoy a grand view of the big mountains. But, Some of the rooms are not equipped with an independent bathroom. In general, Yubeng is a good place for hikers, but you have to put up with the accommodation. In winter, heat blankets are available.
5. Travel Tips for Yubeng Village Trekking/Meili Snow Mountain Tour
• Wear enough clothing and antiskid shoes. Winter in Meili area is cold with snow, to make your body in good condition, prepare for good clothes to keep warm and healthy. Usually fleece series are necessary.
• If there are two people or more want to ride horse, you need to draw lots to decide to ride which horse. No matter what you get, you cannot change your horse by your own; otherwise you possibly rent no horse and cause troubles. This rule made by Tibetans is their own way to ensure fairness and it is useful in many places of Tibet.
• People in the area of Meili Snow Mountain believe in Tibetan Buddhism. We must respect the culture and beliefs of the Tibetan people when enter in the Tibetan area. Do not make any gestures to the holy mountain. Do not tear and tread the Prayer Flags hung by Tibetan people.
• Respect the local custom: in some places of Yubeng Village, sometimes, you will see the polygamy as a kind of marriage system, that is, women can be married to more than one husband. When you communicate with Tibetans, you must pay attention to their subtle relationship.
• When you pass through the way that has big or small prayer stones, please pass from the left side. And you may see some prayer flags hanging very low, please don’t step across but raise them to pass.
• Yunnan Exploration Travel offers English-speaking tour guide and has rich experience in working out Yubeng Hiking Tour that fits for your own schedule and interest. If you are interested in Yubeng Hiking Tour, please contact us to design your trip.
• The altitude reaction will be relieved after one or two days. Buttered Tea is helpful to ease up altitude sickness.
6. More Questions about Yubeng Village/Meili Snow Mountain
• About the close of Meili Snow Mountain in Winter
Meili snow mountain is seen from a distance, tourists don’t need to climb on it. So there is no saying of close. In the past, due to the poor road condition, part of the roads to Yubeng village will be closed if it snows. Now the tunnel of that part has been open and tourists can go to Yubeng village in the winter.
• Can we see the main peak of Meili snow mountain in winter?
In winter after every October to April, it’s the best time to view the Kawagebo Peak because of the nice weather, clean air and the high transparency there.
• How about the temperature of Yubeng village in winter?
In winter, the temperature of Yubeng village is at around 10 degrees during the day and drop as low as -6 degrees at night. It depends on the month you come. So prepare enough cloth to keep warm.
• Is it difficult to find a hotel in Yubeng in winter?
Although more and more tourists choose to enjoy the snow scenery of Yubeng village and see the main peak of Meili Snow Mountain, the choice of accommodation is also growing. So it’s not difficult to find a hotel in Yubeng village.
7. Recommended Tour Routes
2 Days Kawa Karpo Meili Snow Mountain Tour from Shangri-La
5 Days Shangrila Discovery with Meili Snow Mountain Pilgrimage
7 Days Shangrila Meili Snow Mountain and Yubeng Village Trekking Tour
10 Days Tiger Leaping Gorge Adventure and Meili Snow Mountain Pilgrimage Tour
13 Days Three Parallel Rivers Circle Adventure with Tiger Leaping Gorge and Yubeng Village Hiking Tour
20 Days Yunnan Three Parallel Rivers Adventure Trekking Tour