Puer Ethnic Culture is diverse and colorful. It is a place where multi-ethnic groups inhabit. Different nationalities create different culture. As one of the important destinations in the classical Yunnan Travel and a multi-ethnic place, Puer is home to 14 ethnic groups, such as Hani, Yi, Lahu, Wa and Dai. Each ethnic minority there has its own unique customs, traditions and architectural styles, making Puer picturesque place. You will have the chance to experience the life of minorities people, learn about their lifestyle, religion and cuisine. The unique scenery, coupled with fascinating Puer Ethnic Culture makes it attractive and charming. Come to Puer and take a Puer Cultural Tour.
History of Puer
More about History of Puer
Throughout the ages, the temples have carried people's beautiful sustenance to life, attract countless believers to come to worship. The temples in Puer can be described as numerous. There is always one that will make you stay and feel the beautiful sceneries of Puer.
- Leiguang Temple
- Mengwo Temple
- Feilaisi Temple
- Shangcheng Temple
- Daxianrenjiao Temple
- Guanyinshan Temple
- Nuofu Christian Church
Puer Tea Culture
Puer tea has been grown for centuries in the "Six Great Tea Mountains" of Yunnan Province, and in imperial China it was a prized commodity, traded to Tibet by horse or mule caravan via the so-called Ancient Tea Horse Road and presented as tribute to the emperor in Beijing. In the 1990s, as the tea's noble lineage and unique process of aging and fermentation were rediscovered, it achieved cult status both in China and internationally. The tea became a favorite among urban connoisseurs who analyzed it in language comparable to that used in wine appreciation and paid skyrocketing prices.
As a long-established historical tea in China, Pu'er Tea has a extensive and profound culture. It is also an important part of Chinese tea culture and has its own unique characteristics of local national culture. The Pu'er tea culture is produced in Yunnan. It is the simple value of pursuing nature, paying attention to simplicity and yearning for reality. Under the influence of the tea culture of all ethnic groups in China, it is also rich in Confucian rule of times of peace and prosperity and it is filled with the romantic ideals of Taoism.
Puer Architecture Culture
The Nayun Ancient Town is also famous for its architecture, which is an important representative of Puer Architecture. Just take a walk through the local streets, you will find many things catch your eyes. Every house has its own unique characteristic that stands out. Nayun Ancient Town has a history of more than 700 years. The exchanges between the mainland and the border area have formed a complex of different styles of the Dai and Han ethnic groups. Nayun Ancient Town consists of “three cities and two towns”.Jingdong Confucian Temple is one of the more intact ancient buildings in southwestern Yunnan. It is the representative of the Confucian Temples of the Yi people in the border areas. It is also the earliest, largest, well-functioning and well-preserved Confucian Temple in Pu'er City. The high architectural skills are of great value to the study of building technology during the Ming and Qing Dynasties. What's more, Xuanfu Chieftain House is also an important representative of Puer Architecture.
Puer Cuisine Culture
Puer is located in the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau and rich in various food materials which play an important role in Puer dining. People of Hani, Yi, Lahu, Wa and Dai are inclined to sour and spicy flavor. There are some specialties with reasonable price. Puer Dining is as beautiful as the sceneries here. Especially, the dishes historically cooked by the ethnic minority people, should not be missed when you come to Puer. To some extent, Puer is a melting-pot for many different cultures. Therefore, when you come to Puer, you can eat the food from around Yunnan Province and other Chinese dishes. Whether in the small stalls, or in a small restaurant with a strong ethnic style, you can taste a lots of different and delicious food in Puer. The delicious Chicken Tofu, Cold Sour Ant Eggs loved by Dai people will make you want to stay in Puer City.
Puer Folk Art
- Zhangha of Dai
- Sha Drama
- The Ancient Court Music
- “Sigangli ” – Creation Myths of Wa
- “Gengu” – Epic Poem of Lahu
- White Elephant Dance and Deer Dance of Dai
- Hair Dance of Wa
- Hulusheng Dance of Lahu
- Wooden Drum Dance
- Baiwu Dance
Ethnic Groups in Puer
There are 9 ethnic minority autonomous counties in Pu’er City, which are home to 14 inhabitants such as Han, Hani, Yi, Lahu, Wa and Dai. The minority population accounts for 61% of the total population in Puer.
Minority Autonomous Counties in Puer
There are 9 minority autonomous counties in Puer City.
- Ninger Hani and Yi Autonomous County
- Jingdong Yi Autonomous County
- Zhenyuan Yi, Hani and Lahu Autonomous County
- Jinggu Dai and Yi Autonomous County
- Mojiang Hani Autonomous County
- Lancang Lahu Autonomous County
- Ximeng Wa Autonomous County
- Jiangcheng Hani and Yi Autonomous County
- Menglian Dai, Lahu and Wa Autonomous County
Ethnic Towns in Puer
If you are interested in the ethnic culture, these ethnic towns are the be places to experience the rich ethnic culture atmosphere.
- Donglang Hani Ethnic Town
- Lisuo Lahu Ethnic Town
- Fazhanhe Hani Ethnic Town
- Xuelin Wa Ethnic Town
- Wendong Wa Ethnic Town
- Ankang Wa Ethnic Town
Traditional Ethnic Villages in Puer
If you are interested in Puer for its ethnic culture, the traditional ethnic villages will be the best places to experience the colorful ethnic culture of Puer City. Traveling to the traditional ethnic villages, you can explore the most authentic ethnic traditions which can't be seen anywhere else.
- Manhe Village
- Mangpan Village
- Yonglaozhai Village
- Zimajie Village
- Mengwai Village
- Mangjie Village
- Wengji Village
- Nuogan Village
More about Traditional Ethnic Villages in Puer
Ethnic Festivals in Puer
There are 9 ethnic minority autonomous counties in Pu’er City, which are home to 14 inhabitants such as Han, Hani, Yi, Lahu, Wa and Dai. The minority population accounts for 61% of the total population in Puer. Multi-ethnic settlement makes Puer City full of colorful ethnic culture, whether the festivals or the food.
Popular Festivals in Puer
- Torch Festival of Yi
- Water Splashing Festival of Dai
- New Rice Festival of Wa
- New Year Festival of Hani
- Calabash Festival of Luhu
- Gatangpa Festival of Hani
- Docynia Festival
- Lemon Festival
Intangible Cultural Heritages and Inheritors in Puer
With a large number of ethnic minorities, Puer has many intangible cultural heritages with ethnic characteristics, such as Baiwu Dance of Lahu Ethnic Minority in Lancang County, Puer, Wooden Drum Dance of Wa Ethnic Minority. Every intangible cultural heritage has its inheritors, who play a vital role in the promotion and inheritance of culture.
Culture Tours including Puer
Yunnan Exploration provides all kinds of tours, including Tea Culture Tours, Muslim Culture Tours, Puer Education Tours, etc. You can choose different themes to discover profound tea culture, taste the famous Puer Tea, or learn about the history of the Ancient Tea Horse Road in Puer.
Tea Culture Tours
- 2 Days Yunnan Tea Culture Tour to East Slope of Wuliangshan Mountain in Jingdong County
- 8 Days Best Yunnan Pu’er Tea Tour to Kunming-Puer-XishuangBanna
- 7 Days XishuangBanna and Puer Tea Culture Tour
- 10 Days Yunnan Puer Tea and Dianhong Black Tea Tour to Lincang and Fengqing
- 11 Days Southwest Yunnan Dianhong Black Tea and Puer Tea Culture Tour
- 11 Days Southwest Yunnan Dianhong Black Tea and Puer Tea Culture Tour
Ancient Tea Horse Road Tour
- 4 Days Puer Ethnic Culture and Ancient Tea Horse Road Tour from Kunming
- 5 Day Puer City In-depth Tour with Ancient Tea Horse Road and Ethnic Culture
- 13 Days Yunnan Ancient Tea Horse Road Discovery and Puer Tea Culture Tour
- 16 Days Best Yunnan Tea Tour along the Ancient Tea Horse Road
- 6 Days Puer and XishuangBanna Coffee, Tea and Minority Culture Tour
- 6 Days XishuangBanna and Puer Ethnic Culture Tour with Tea Culture and Ethnic Villages Discovery
- 6 Days Puer Ethnic Minorities and Local Markets Discovery Tour
- 7 Days Kunming, XishuangBanna and Puer Family Tour with Tropical Forest and Ethnic Culture Discovery
- 26 Days Grand Yunnan Ethnic Minority Discovery