Renewal and Extension of Your Chinese Visa In Yunnan

Renewal and extension of your Chinese visa in Yunnan will guide you how to renew and extend your Chinese visa in Yunnan, and tell you where to handle these procedures some FAQs about renewal and extension of your Chinese visa.

Where to Extend or Renew China Visa in Yunnan

In general, the formalities are the same to applying outside through Chinese embassy. People should go to the Public Security Bureau and Exit and Entry Administration Office of county level or above nearby.

Note: It is the best choice to take your Chinese friends, they can tell you how to handle the formalities. If you are new in Yunnan, if you have any problems, please contact us.

Public Security Bureau and Exit and Entry Administration Offices in Yunnan

  • Public Security Bureau Exit & Entry Certificates Service (Visa) Office(昆明出入境接待大厅)
    Add: No. 118 Tuodong Road, Kunming
    Opening Hours: 9:00-11:30, 13:00-17:00(Monday-Friday)
  • Lijiang Public Security Bureau Gucheng Branch and Exit and Entry Administration Office(丽江市公安局古城分局出入境接待大厅)
    Add: The opposite of Xiangjiang Garden Community, Lijiang(丽江香江花园小区对面)
    Opening Hours: 09:00-17:00
  • Dali City Public Security Bureau and Exit and Entry Administration Office(大理市公安局出入境接待大厅)
    Add: No. S-01 Shouzuo, Yunlu Center, Dali City, Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture(大理白族自治州大理市云路中心首座S-01)
    Opening Hours:08:00-11:30, 14:00-17:30(Monday-Friday)
  • Shangri-La Public Security Bureau and Exit and Entry Administration Office(香格里拉县公安局-出入境服务大厅)
    Add: Kangzhu Avenue, Shangri-La(香格里拉康珠大道)
    Opening Hours: 09:00-11:30, 14:30-17:00(winter); 08:30-11:30, 14:30-17:00(summer)(Monday-Friday)

When to Apply for China visa Renewal and Extension in Yunnan

According to the laws and regulations, you must submit the application for extension or renewal 7 in advance before your Chinese visa expires. In general, the offices from the public security bureau and exit and entry administration office will issue you with a receipt once they accept your application and give the result within 7 days. However, once your Chinese visa expires, you will be subject to a fine and be expelled from China.

How to Extend or Renew Your China Visa in Yunnan

How to extent or renew your China visa? You should prepare the related documents in advance, such as passport, a recent passport style photo, a registration form of temporary residence, the certificate about reasons for your China visa renewal and extension. The following has the detailed documents list. In general, you should go the the PSB Exit and Entry Administration Office to submit the application.

The documents you need

  • Your passport;
  • A recent passport style photo;
  • Your host’s household registration or a copy of your apartment rental contract;
  • A copy of your landlord’s ID card (if you can ask them to go with you);
  • A filled out Temporary Residence registration form.
  • If you move to another apartment/hotel/hostel or have your visa renewed, you will need to go through the registration again.

How to Get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence in Yunnan

According to the Chinese law, foreigners need to register, both in urban and rural areas, within the 24 hours after their arrival. This registration is completely free, but it is mandatory. If you are staying in a hotel they can provide you with a hotel accommodation registration slip since they are connected with the PSB. If you are not staying in a hotel, you must obtain an accommodation registration printout from the police station for the area you are living in. If you are staying in a non-accredited hotel or with friends or in a rented apartment, you should either register or stay in an accredited hotel for one night in order to get the registration slip.

Common FAQs related to Renewal and Extension of Your Chinese Visa in Yunnan

If visa expires during my stay in Yunnan, can I continue my stay? Can I renew my visa?

Although your visa expires, you can still stay in Yunnan until the allowed Duration of Each Stay expires. However, you can not renew or make any changes on visa once it is issued. You have to apply for a new one again.

I get a new passport, but I have a valid Chinese visa in my old passport. Can I travel with both passports to China without applying for a new visa?

It is not necessary to travel with two passports. If your passport has expired or is going to expire in 6 months or less, you should apply for a new visa with your new passport.

More about Chinese Visa