Qingkou Hani Ethnic Village in Yuanyang County, Honghe
Chinese Name: 红河州元阳县新街镇土锅寨村委会箐口村
Chinese Pinyin: Qing Kou Cun
English Name: Qingkou Village of Xinjie Town in Yuanyang County, Honghe
Keywords: Hani Folk Culture, Mushroom Houses
Type: Ethinc Village
Opening Hours:All Day Long
Recommeded Visiting Time: 1 Day
Address: Away from the south of Xinjie town with 6 kilometers
About Qingkou Hani Ethnic Village
Qingkou is a typical Hani Village, which consists of 150 families and has a population of 800 of Hani people. Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces and sea of clouds have their own distinctive features. The 190,000 mu amazing Hani Rice Terraces left by Hani ethnic minorities is called “sculpture in the earth” and “the Wonders of the World”，”elegant demeanor of China” as well. The terraces peacefully lay on the mountains, which forms a set of poetic picturesque picture scroll of nature beauty.
Why is Qingkou Hani Ethnic Village so special?
It maintains an integrated ecosystem among the forest, water system, villages and terraced field. Having been properly exploiting and comprehensively using the natural resources for hundreds of years, it is regarded as a model village in promoting the agricultural development. It not only protects its ecological balance but also promotes its development and civilization. There is also a museum established to display the history and culture of Hani people.
Ethnic Culture in Qingkou Village
Hani people would celebrate some traditional festivals, like Hani New Year, Kuzhazha Festival, etc.
1. Hani New Year: Hani New Year is like the Spring Festival of Han. It takes place in the first Dragon Day of the 10th lunar month each year and lasts 5 to 6 days and even as long as 13 days. Every family would prepare chicken, pork to worship their ancestors and family members gather together to enjoy the union. In the last day of the New Year, a Long Table Banquet will be arranged and tables will be laid in the street which can extend to one kilometer long. Each family will serve the most sumptuous dishes to fill up a table and enjoy the banquet together.
2. Kuzhazha (苦扎扎节): Kuzhazha Festival takes place from lunar June 23 to 26 and every family makes sticky rice, sets the feast, makes fresh rice and worships the ancestor.
Walking around the village along the stone path, you can see the change of time as well as the local unchanged life on magnificent terrace fields. The earth-made houses on the both side of path are well ranked, whose housetop looks like a big mushroom. These houses are called mushroom houses, which are the traditional residences of Hani people. They are comprised of earth-made walls, bamboo or wood frameworks and straw housetops.
How to Get there?
Qingkou Village is away from the south of Xinjie town with 6 kilometers. There are three routes to get Qingkou Village from Kunming. We provide you with detailed information.
1. Kunming-Yuanyang-Qingkou Hani Ethnic Village
Kunming South Passenger Station: departing for Yuanyang at 10:20/12:30/19:00 every day, CNY 139 per, lasting 5 to 6 hours. Then you can rent a car to reach Qingkou Hani Ethnic Village, CNY 5~10 yuan per.
Take a chartered car: CNY 300 a day to visit around Yuanyang Rice Terraces, and about CNY 100 to get to Qingkou Hani Ethnic Rice Terraces.
2. Kunming-Nansa County-Xinjie Town-Bada Rice Terraces
Take the regular bus from Kunming to Nansha county, then take the mini bus to Xinjie town(CNY 10 per, departing from 7:00~20:00). From Xinjie town to the entrance of the Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces or from the entrance to each scenic spot, you can rent a car to go, CNY 5~10 per.
3. Kunming – Jianshui/Gejiu – Yuanyang
Kunming East Passenger Station: leaving for Jianshui or Gejiu and costing CNY 85 per and 3 or 4 hours and a half. And train from Kunming to Jianshui is also available. Then you can take a regular bus to Yuanyang, CNY 16-32 per.
Distances from Others Scenic Areas in Yuanyang:
1. Accommodation: There are many hostels in Xinjie Town. If you arrange your accommodation in Xinjie Town, you should take a mini bus to arrive at each scenic area. Apart from Xinjie town, you can also stay at Duoyishu Rice Terraces Scenic Area and Shengcun Village where various hostels and inns are located. The hostels are decorated in Hani ethnic style and offer great chance to view the beautiful rice terraces through windows.
2. About Tickets: The day ticket is CNY 100 (including Duoyishu, Bada, Laohuzui Scenic Areas and Qingkou Folk village). The through ticket is CNY 180 (you can visit the above four scenic areas in ten days of validity). The annual ticket is CNY 360 (you can visit the above four scenic areas in one year of validity).
3. Weather: The temperature here varies greatly between day and night. Please pay attention to keep warm especially in early morning and at night.