Guoguo Mosque in Eryuan County, Dali

[gallery ids="69996"]

Guoguo Mosque (国果清真寺), located in Cibi Township (茨碧乡), Eryuan County (洱源县), Yunnan Province (云南省), was originally established at an unknown date. It was destroyed after the failure of Du Wenxiu’s (杜文秀) uprising in the 11th year of the Tongzhi reign (1872) of the Qing Dynasty. Subsequently, a private house in the southern part of Daguo Village (大果村) near the riverbank was used as a temporary mosque. In 1922, the mosque was rebuilt along with two side rooms. During the Cultural Revolution, it suffered severe damage and further decay due to long neglect. In 1985, the main prayer hall and side rooms were restored and expanded.

Structure and Layout

The current mosque covers an area of 2.5 mu (approximately 1,667 square meters). The main prayer hall occupies 400 square meters and is a traditional-style brick-and-wood structure. It has three doors, all designed as screen-style carved panels. A porch supported by wooden columns stands before the doors. Within the mosque grounds, green grass, bamboo, and flowers surround the stone steps, creating a peaceful atmosphere.

A historical plaque reading “万化归真” (“All Things Return to the Truth”) still exists within the mosque. It was presented in the 29th year of the Guangxu reign (1903) by Zhang Fengming (张凤鸣), then the Chief Commander of Heqing (鹤庆), and now hangs above the main entrance of the prayer hall.

Religious Community

The mosque currently serves 106 Hui Muslim households, totaling 518 individuals. All are members of the Gedimu (格迪目) tradition.

Location and Accessibility

Guoguo Mosque (国果清真寺) is located in Cibi Township (茨碧乡), Eryuan County (洱源县), Yunnan Province (云南省).