Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology
Chinese Name: 昆明动物博物馆
Chinese Pinyin: Kunming Dong Wu Bo Wu Guan
English Name: Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology
Type: Museum, Cultural & Historical Landscape
Best Seasons: All year round
Reccommended Visiting Time: 1-2 hours
Tickets: 40 yuan/person
Opening Hours: 9:00-17:00 (Tuesday - Sunday)
Location: No. 32 Jiaochang East Road, in Chinese Academy of Sciences and Kunming Institute of Zoology
The Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology is located in the campus of Kunming Institute of Zoology (KIZ), the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). The museum occupies 7 350 square meters, including a research specimen library, a science awareness hall and a multi-functional reference room. The museum is currently housing the most substantial collections of zoological specimens in southwest China.
So far, the Museum have 700 000 individual specimens in storage, including 200 000 fish specimens, 40 000 amphibian and reptile specimens, 24 000 bird specimens, 19 000 mammal specimens and 400 000 insect specimens, and among them, 6 000 specimens are on display. The collections focus on the southern fauna in China, encompassing the diverse and unique animal resources of the “animal kingdom”-Yunnan province.
The museum consists of two floors, east and west. The main floor guide is composed of Science Popularization Hall, Scientific Research Specimen Library, Multi-function Academic Lecture Hall and so on. The exhibition is mainly concentrated on the first to third floors.
The First Floor: Preface Hall, Biodiversity Exhibition Hall, Asian Elephant Hall, Dinosaur and Fossil Exhibition Hall, Skeletal Exhibition Hall, Amphibious and Reptile Habitat Counter and Fish, Two Crawler Bottled Specimens Exhibition Hall.
The Second Floor: The exhibition of bird specimen and its habitat, insect resources and its habitat, human and nature, panda and wetland.
The Third Floor: There are aquatic organisms (including freshwater fish and marine organisms) and their living environment, microcosm of the cold temperate habitat of the habitat in northwest Yunnan and a large scale indoor ecological landscape of tropical and subtropical simulated nature.
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total:
1. Fossils in the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology;
2. Insects in the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology ;
3. Preserved specimens in the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology;
4. Reptiles in the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology;
5. Skeletons in the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology;
6. Taxidermy in the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology.
Media in Category
1.Elephants – Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology
2.Entrance – Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology
3.Ground floor – Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology
4.Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology
1. Since 2007, the Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology has launched the “Member Club” service, which is aimed at people from all walks of life who are interested in natural science and are enthusiastic about museum undertakings, providing unique concessions and services, and rich and colorful participation activities;
2. Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology organizes a themed activity with family as the unit before each holiday, and selects 5-6 families from the registered families to participate in the activities;
3. On September 19, 2015, Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology launched a wealth of popular science activities with the theme of “Mass Innovation to Embrace Intelligent Life”.
The Value and Function
1. Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology has the largest collection of animal collections in southwest China. The collection covers the “Animal Kingdom” of Yunnan and almost all animal specimens of ecological types in neighboring provinces. With its strong regional characteristics, the museum highlights the importance of collecting rich biodiversity specimens from Southwest China, a hotspot region of biodiversity in the world.
2. Kunming Animal Museum Herbarium provides free collection service for relevant institutions and individuals at home and abroad, and provides service platform for related scientific research personnel.
Kunming Institute of Zoology: October 1958, an application to establish the Kunming Institute of Zoology (KIZ) was submitted to the Yunnan Provincial Committee of the Communist Party of China and Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
How to Get there?
Take bus No. 115, No. 139, No. 146 and bus No. 92 and get off at Baiyun Road Station.