Yuxi museum, adjacent to Hongta Hotel and Nie Er(聂耳) park, has a beautiful environment and convenient transportation. It is a comprehensive, multi-functional museum integrating collection, display, scientific research and external publicity and communication.
Chinese Name: 玉溪市博物馆
English Name: Yuxi Museum
Type: Museum and History
Best Time: All year
Recommended Visiting Hours: 1-3 hours
Opening Hours: 9:00—17:00(Closed on Monday, except legal holidays)
Address: No.30, Hongta Avenue, Hongta District, Yuxi, Yunnan云南省玉溪市红塔区红塔大道30号
Why is Yuxi Museum So Special?
Yuxi museum focuses on the history and culture of Yuxi, which is the essence of Yuxi culture. There are many exhibition halls, such as the vivid paleontology exhibition hall, the exquisite bronze museum exhibition hall and the Nie Er culture exhibition hall, and the exhibition hall of Yuxi history deduction, which record the details of Yuxi’s past and present.
The Yuxi museum consists of eight basic exhibition halls and a temporary exhibition hall, covering over 5,000 square meters, including paleontology hall, new paleolithic hall, bronze hall, porcelain hall, painting and calligraphy hall, modern and contemporary history hall, culture and art hall and tobacco hall. All the exhibition halls are applied the novel display and exhibition concept, cooperated with the modern sound, light and electrical technology, and assisted with the three-dimensioned animation, touch screen, simulation scene and other methods.
Where is Yuxi Museum?
Yuxi museum, located in Hongta Avenue of Hongta District, Yuxi, Yunnan, adjacent to Hongta hotel and Nie Er park, has beautiful environment and convenient transportation. It is a comprehensive and multi-functional museum integrating collection, display, scientific research and external publicity and communication.
Features of Yuxi Museum
1. Ceramics Exhibition Hall: The ceramic exhibition hall takes the Yuxi kiln which produced blue and white porcelain in the Yuan and Ming dynasties as the masterpiece of Yunnan blue and white porcelain. It is the most abundant exhibition hall in the whole museum.
2. Marine Biological Hall: There are models and fossils of ancient Marine life species, especially the famous trilobites, Yunnanozoon云南虫 and Fuxianhuia抚仙湖虫.
3. Dinosaur Fossils Exhibition Hall: It displays all kinds of dinosaur fossils from the Jurassic period, most of which are from the Chengjiang Maotianshan animal fossil coenosis澄江帽天山动物化石群.
4. Intangible Culture Exhibition Gallery: It displays ethnic costumes, historical culture, national, provincial and municipal intangible heritage protection projects of 8 counties and 2 districts in Yuxi.
How to Get There
The transportation in Hongta District is convenient. You have two ways to get there. The museum is located on the main road of the city, and it is also convenient to take a taxi. The price starts from 6 yuan.
1. By Long-distance Bus
There are many buses from Kunming to Hongta District of Yuxi. After arriving at the Yuxi bus terminal, you can take No.4 bus, getting off at Oil Company Station.
Kunming South Bus Station-Yuxi Chengxi Bus Terminal in Hongta District
Departure Time: 7:00-20:00
Price: 37 CNY or 55 CNY
Distance: 107 kilometers
Consume Time: About 1.5 hours
2. By Train
The fastest way to get to Hongta District of Yuxi is by train. After arriving at Yuxi Railway Station, you can take No.9 bus, getting off at Power Center Service Station.
Kunming South Station-Yuxi Station in Hongta District
Departure Time: 8:10, 9:55, 10:07, 18:47, 19:13
Ticket Price: 32 CNY or 40 CNY
Distance: 81 kilometers
Consume Time: 32 minutes
Kunming Station-Yuxi Station in Hongta District
Departure Time: 5:36-17:20
Ticket Price: 16.5 CNY
Distance: 105 kilometers
Consume Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1. Nie Er Park聂耳公园
The ancestral home of Nie Er, a famous musician of our country and the composer of the China national anthem, is in Yuxi. Now there is Nie Er park in Yuxi city. Founded in 1985, there are Nie Er bronze statue and memorial hall in the park. Completed in July 1987, the park is a comprehensive park mainly dedicated to the memory of the people’s musician Nie Er, integrating culture, rest and recreation. The park is divided into memorial area, recreation area, cultural activity area, quiet rest area, children’s recreation area, flowers production appreciation area and park management area.
2. Yuquan Temple玉泉寺
Yuquan Temple, located in Daying Street of Hongta District, Yuxi City, is adjacent to Yingyuetan映月谭 leisure culture center and Yingyuetan hot spring. It is a large-scale Buddhist activity site and a national AAAA level tourist attraction. uquan temple is majestic and grand in scale, consisting of seven shrine buildings, including the grand buddha’s hall大雄宝殿, heavenly king’s hall天王殿, the hall of patriarch祖师殿, pharmacist hall药师殿, Dizang palace地藏殿, hall of 500 arhats五百罗汉堂 and wealth hall财神殿. The grand buddha’s hall enshrines Sakyamuni Buddha carved from sandalwood, 26.8 meters high, which is the highest indoor Buddha in southeast Asia.
3. Yingyuetan Hot Spring映月谭温泉
Yingyuetan Hot Spring映月谭温泉 is located in Dayingjie Subdistrict of Hongta District, Yuxi, Yunnan. It is a unique place for recreation and recuperation, also a pure Japanese style hot spring tourist resort.
Best Time to Visit
Museum visit is mainly indoor activities, consequently, tourists can visit Yuxi museum at all seasons.
Accommodation Around Yuxi Museum
Hongta District is the government seat of Yuxi City. Accommodation is convenient here.
1. Hongta Hotel云南红塔大酒店
Address: No.32, Hongta Avenue, Hongta District, Yuxi玉溪市红塔区红塔大道32号
Starting Price: 379 CNY
2. Longma Hotel玉溪龙马大酒店
Address: No.48, Hongta Avenue, Hongta District, Yuxi玉溪市红塔区红塔大道48号
Starting Price: 134 CNY
3. Home Inn如家快捷酒店
Address: No.40, Fenghuang Road, Hongta District, Yuxi玉溪市红塔区凤凰路40号
Starting Price: 107 CNY
Useful Travel Tips
1. Please keep quiet and don’t make any noise when you enter the museum。
2. Some objects in the museum are not allowed to be photographed or touched, and there are warning signs inside.
3. With convenient transportation and strong cultural characteristics, the museum is definitely the best place to enrich your knowledge. If you want to visit Yuxi, you can visit Yuxi museum first to learn about it, and then the field trip will be more interesting.
4. Adjacent to the Hongta Hotel and Nie Er Park, there are plenty of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from around Yuxi museum.
5. The Museum is closed on Monday, except Chinese legal holidays.